Duration: 8 hours
Pompeii holds an intense fascination for visitors today. Following the eruption of the volcano Mount Vesuvius in the year 79 A.D., Pompeii lay buried and forgotten for hundreds of years. The town is high on the list of the Wonders of the World and the excavations begun in the 18th Century are still being carried out today.
Your guide will take you slowly through some of the ancient streets of Pompeii where you can see Baths, Forums and Villas built by the prosperous Romans. Marvel at the fabulously preserved Frescos which adorned the walls and floors of the Villas. Even if your interests do not lie in history, this is an archaeological site that cannot fail to impress you.
Mount Vesuvius dominates the Bay of Naples. It is the only active volcano on the mainland of Europe. The slopes were once covered with vineyards and woods and provided an innocent looking backdrop for the bustling town below. Your private driver will take you to within nearly 1,000 yards of the top of Vesuvius and from here you can walk to the very top and admire the splendid panoramic views across the bay. From the blackened crater rises a single plume of smoke, a reminder that the volcano is only sleeping for now.
Exact time will be provided in final documents. Pick up at your hotel.
- Private English-speaking guide at disposal for 2 hours in Pompeii
- Entrance fees to Pompeii and Vesuvius
- Gratuities (optional)
- Guide on Mt. Vesuvius
- This tour involves a fair amount of walking, comfortable shoes are recommended.
- The hike up to the crater of Vesuvius requires a good level of general fitness to complete. The hike is uphill at a 14 degree angle and 20 minutes long (about 1 mile). The hike is prevalently on soft ground, adequate footwear is recommended.
- Temperatures on the Volcano may be a bit lower than temperatures on the ground, a sweater or light jacket is recommended, especially outside of the summer months.