Price: Starting at $171.95 pp.
Duration: 13 hours, 7:30am - 8:30pm
*This tour operates from April to November (11/14).
Pompeii has inspired countless documentaries, movies and books and is an UNESCO World Heritage site. In the morning, you will take an air-conditioned bus from Rome to Pompeii (appx. 2.5 hrs). Then begin your day by standing on the ridge of the crater of the still-active volcano - Mt Vesuvius and take in the incredible views of Naples. Infamous for the destruction of Pompeii and Herculaneum in 79AD, Vesuvius has erupted many times since – and is today regarded as one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world due to the 3,000,000 people living directly in its path of destruction. Lava flows have scarred the sides of the volcano, and are visible on the winding road up to the top. From the parking area, it is a 20 minute upward hike to the crater through soft volcanic ash and pumice for which comfortable walking shoes are recommended. The view from the top is well worth the while.
Next, take a break for a leisurely lunch of authentic Neapolitan pizza. Now, onto the highlight, Pompeii!
Sitting in the ominous shadow of Vesuvius, the now ruined city of Pompeii was once a sprawling metropolis of shops and residences, restaurants, gyms and brothels. Entering with our Skip the Line, pre-booked access we’ll walk Pompeii’s main streets just as the ancient Romans did. The stones are still worn with tracks from the drawn carriages that tread them nearly 2000 years ago! We’ll visit the forum, the center of Pompeii’s political and social life, as well as view the startling plaster death casts of the victims of the catastrophic eruption that destroyed the city – freezing forever in time a moment that would live on in history.
Once the tour is over, you will take the bus back to Rome, to the tour's original meeting point.
Meeting point will be at a central location. Details will be provided in final documents.
- Round-trip transport from Rome in an air-conditioned bus
- Ticket & reservation fees for Vesuvius & Pompeii
- Lunch (includes Napolitan Pizza & a drink)
- English-speaking guide
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- This tour ends around 8:30pm at the square Piazza del Popolo in Rome.
- This tour involves a fair amount of walking, comfortable shoes are recommended. Please inform us in advance of the tour of any special dietary requirements.
- In rare cases of inclement weather or strikes, the crater of Vesuvius may be closed to visitors. If this is the case an alternative visit to the Archeological Museum of Naples will be included, or an alternative of equal value.
- The hike up to the crater of Vesuvius is optional and requires a good level of general fitness to complete. The hike is uphill at a 14 degree angle and 20 minutes long (about 1 mile). The hike is prevalently on soft ground, adequate footwear is recommended. Those who choose may remain at the parking area and enjoy the views.
- Temperatures on the Volcano may be a bit lower than temperatures on the ground, a sweater or light jacket is recommended, especially outside of the summer months.
- Extra measures may be implemented due to heightened global security. As a result, you may experience delays in getting through mandatory security checks when entering the venue. Extra measures may also restrict the size of bags that can be brought inside. To avoid disruptions or possible denied entry, we strongly suggest that you avoid bringing large purses, bags, or backpacks on your tour.
- Group of 25 people or less.