Duration: 3.5 hours, 9:50am - 1:20pm OR 2:30pm - 6pm
*The AM tour operates daily from May to July, in September and October.
The AM tour operates only on Sun, Mon & Sat in April.
The PM tour operates all year round.
Explore the Sacred Christian Catacombs and discover the lesser known history of Rome.
Peel back the layers of history as you discover imperial and early Christian Rome via the Eternal city’s underground burial chambers, its long winding catacombs and its crypts. Begin your journey with Skip the Line Entrance to the Christian Catacombs, where generations of early Christians tunneled under the city to bury their dead in tombs carved out of the bedrock itself. Then, visit the Capuchin Crypt, an eerie monument to death, with the remains of over 4,000 monks decorating the walls. Here your expert English-speaking guide will draw your attention to many interesting details and explain to you the reasons behind such an unusual practice.
Finish the tour with a visit to Basilica San Martino ai Monti. Head inside this ancient church, adorned with frescoes, and see the Chapel of Our Lady of Carmel. Immerse yourself in the stunning artwork, and get to know some of the incredible lesser-known history of the Eternal City.
Meeting point will be at a central location. Details will be provided in final documents.
- All transfers in an air conditioned bus
- English-speaking guide
- Entrance tickets to the Capuchin Crypt and Museum, to the Christian Catacombs (Domitilla, San Callisto or San Sebastiano) and to the Basilica San Martino ai Monti
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- This tour ends at Piazza Barberini or Piazza della Repubblica, depending on the itinerary.
- This tour involves a fair amount of walking, comfortable shoes are recommended.
- Entrance into churches requires a strict dress code. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women.
- Please note that the Crypts and Catacombs are located in small, dark areas , with narrow paths and low ceilings. As the venues are underground there are no windows. We do not recommend this tour if you are claustrophobic. Missed tours or tickets due to late arrivals cannot be refunded.
- Group of 16 people or less.