Availability: Monday - Saturday*
Duration: 2.5 hours, 2:30pm - 5pm
*This tour operates all year round.
A great introduction to the artistic treasures of the Vatican in an enjoyable and hassle-free manner. From the enormous Vatican Museums to Michelangelo's ground-breaking frescoes in the Sistine Chapel, you will see how the Popes used art and culture to spread their message.
Your guide will take you out to the Vatican Gardens balcony for your first glimpse of the dome of St. Peters Basilica before strolling through the ancient statues and modern sculptures of the Pinecone Courtyard. As there is no talking allowed in the Sistine Chapel your guide will prepare you here for the many fascinating details you otherwise might miss on your own.
To reach the Chapel, your guide will lead you along the Hall of Maps, the Gallery of Tapestries, the Gallery of Candelabra and through the Raphael Rooms. These works of art will come to life as you follow your guide’s commentary on your dedicated headsets. At the Sistine Chapel, take some time to pick out the rich details on the walls and ceilings – from Michelangelo’s boneless self-portrait to the shields representing violent bible stories.
Meeting point will be at a central location. Details will be provided in final documents.
- English-speaking guide
- Entrance ticket and reservation fee to the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- This tour at around 5pm.
- This tour involves a fair amount of walking, comfortable shoes are recommended.
- Entrance into the Vatican requires a strict dress code. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. ItalyVacations cannot be held responsible for refused entry due to improper dress.
- Please note that large bags/tripods/umbrellas/backpacks are not permitted in the Vatican and must be checked into the free luggage storage area. Please do not bring these items as you may need to leave the tour early to retrieve them at the entrance. Only very small bags are allowed.
- Non-flash photography is permitted throughout the tour, except in the Sistine Chapel where talking and photography are prohibited.
- Group of 20 people or less.