Price: Starting at $95.16 pp.
Availability: Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri & Sat*
Duration: 2 hours, 7:20am - 9:20am
*This tour operates Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri & Sat from April to October.
This tour operates only on Fri & Sat in November and December.
With an expert, English-speaking guide leading the way, you’ll see all the highlights of the Vatican City (Sistine Chapel and St. Peter’s Basilica) in just two hours. Plus, you will get a chance to enter the Sistine Chapel 30 minutes before other tour groups and 90 minutes before the general public. You will also visit the tombs of the most important Popes of all time in a special crypt beneath St. Peter’s Basilica.
Before you enter the Sistine Chapel, the tour guide will provide you with some basic information on what to look for. Once inside you will be free to take in the beauty of the chapel on your own.
Then you will be led through the side access to the Basilica directly from the exit of the Sistine Chapel, avoiding the long lines that can form at the external entrance. You’ll enjoy an introduction to the Basilica and the amazing sights you’ll encounter within. As you step inside, the stunning beauty will blow you away. Here you’ll encounter Michelangelo's moving Pietà and Bernini’s 96-foot-high masterpiece: a baroque baldachin (altar canopy) with twisting columns, cast using bronze ‘recycled’ from the Pantheon.
After you have had free time to explore the main level of the Basilica, your tour guide will lead you down to the Crypts of the Popes, housed in the space between the older 4th century Basilica and St. Peter’s, which was built on top of it. It is a true honor for a Pope to be buried here!
Meeting point will be at a central location. Details will be provided in final documents.
- No Wait Access to Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica,
- Visit to Vatican crypts
- English-speaking guide
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- This tour ends in St. Peter’s Square at around 9:20am.
- This tour involves a fair amount of walking, comfortable shoes are recommended.
- Entrance into the Vatican requires a strict dress code. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. ItalyVacations cannot be held responsible for refused entry due to improper dress.
- Please note that large bags/tripods/umbrellas/backpacks are not permitted in the Vatican and must be checked into the free luggage storage area. Please do not bring these items as you may need to leave the tour early to retrieve them at the entrance. Only very small bags are allowed.
- Non-flash photography is permitted throughout the tour, except in the Sistine Chapel where talking and photography are prohibited.
- Group of 20 people or less.