Price: Starting at $181.44 pp.
Availability: Mon, Wed & Sat at 8:45am*
Duration: 8.75 hours, 8:45am - 5:30pm
*This tour operates from 4/1/2019 to 10/26/2019.
This tour operates only on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 10/27/2019 to 11/17/2019.
This tour operates on Sun, Mon, Wed & Sat from April to October (10/24) and on Wed & Sat from 10/25/2020 to 11/15/2020.
Pompeii has inspired countless documentaries, movies and books and is an UNESCO World Heritage site. In the morning, you will take a ride on an air-conditioned bus from Naples to Pompeii and enjoy a 2-hour guided walking tour of Pompeii.
Sitting in the ominous shadow of Vesuvius, the now ruined city of Pompeii was once a sprawling metropolis of shops and residences, restaurants, gyms and brothels. You’ll walk Pompeii’s main streets just as the ancient Romans did. The stones are still worn with tracks from the drawn carriages that tread them nearly 2000 years ago! You’ll visit the forum, the center of Pompeii’s political and social life, as well as view the startling plaster death casts of the victims of the catastrophic eruption that destroyed the city.
Next, take a break at a winery where you will enjoy a tasting of 6 local wines, a 3-course lunch and a visit to the vineyards and cellar, with a complete explanation of the grape varieties and winemaking process from the owner.
After lunch your tour will continue onto the Mt. Vesuvius.
Infamous for the destruction of Pompeii and Herculaneum in 79AD, Vesuvius has erupted many times. Lava flows have scarred the sides of the volcano, and are visible on the winding road up to the top. From the parking area, it is a 20 minute upward hike to the crater through soft volcanic ash and pumice for which comfortable walking shoes are recommended. The view from the top is well worth the while.
Once the tour is over, you will take the bus back to Naples.
Meeting point will be at a central location. Details will be provided in final documents.
- Round-trip transfer from Naples in an air-conditioned bus
- English-speaking guide
- Entrance ticket & reservation fees for Pompeii and Vesuvius Volcano
- 3-course lunch and tasting of 6 wines
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- This tour ends around 5:30pm at Naples train station.
- This tour involves a fair amount of walking, comfortable shoes are recommended. Please inform us in advance of the tour of any special dietary requirements.
- In rare cases of inclement weather or strikes, the crater of Vesuvius may be closed to visitors. If this is the case an alternative visit to the Archeological Museum of Naples will be included, or an alternative of equal value.
- The hike up to the crater of Vesuvius is optional and requires a good level of general fitness to complete. The hike is uphill at a 14 degree angle and 20 minutes long (about 1 mile). The hike is prevalently on soft ground, adequate footwear is recommended. Those who choose may remain at the parking area and enjoy the views.
- Temperatures on the Volcano may be a bit lower than temperatures on the ground, a sweater or light jacket is recommended, especially outside of the summer months.
- Extra measures may be implemented due to heightened global security. As a result, you may experience delays in getting through mandatory security checks when entering the venue. Extra measures may also restrict the size of bags that can be brought inside. To avoid disruptions or possible denied entry, we strongly suggest that you avoid bringing large purses, bags, or backpacks on your tour